15 Apr Events Photographer Malaga
“INDITEX GROUP FASHION’S BRAND CALLED ME TO PHOTOGRAPH THEIR MOST IMPORTANT FASHION EVENT OF THE YEAR. HERE IT IS HOW I PHOTOGRAPHED FOR MASSIMO DUTTI.”
As an event photographer in Malaga and Marbella I have had many assignments of various kinds: fashion, advertising, cars, hotels, real estate, business or sports to name a few. This time the call was from the world’s largest fashion company. The Inditex Group needed a photographer to cover its most important event of the year on the occasion of the opening of one of its flagships in Spain: its spectacular new store in Calle Larios in Malaga.
The event took place in one of the most central and beautiful hotels in the city, the Molina Lario, and was held mainly in an interior room illuminated by artificial light and a beautiful outdoor dining “lounge” where a soft (although very dim) natural zenithal light filtered through.
Carrying in your LowerPro
case a variety of optics to choose from for every light, for every room, for every detail, makes it possible to realize a wide range of technical and creative possibilities. I think, this has been the first time that I photograph with the telephoto-telephoto combination (yes, the first time although it sounds strange 🙂 and the result has been excellent.
As always, a description of the equipment.
- Canon full frame Eos 5-d body.
- Lens 17-40 Canon Eph 1:4 L USM (my favorite lens for indoor photography).
- Speedlite 580 + white umbrella.
- Manfrotto tripod.
- Pocket Wizards in some close-ups for the 70-200 Ef IS USM 2.8f.
FASHION EVENT PHOTOGRAPHER
An event organized by a fashion company is especially enriching on an image level, on an aesthetic level. The amount of detail to focus on is incredible. We will make angular plans to capture the influx of public, the rooms where the event takes place, the public interacting with the speakers. We made medium shots for different group dynamics that took place in the event and of course closed shots with nice blurs to focus on expressions and details.
Some aspects of how I did this fashion and event photography assignment:
- Priority to speed in semi-automatic: In the interior rooms I know that I will have by default a wide opening in my measurement. If I want to focus on details and shoot fast so I don’t miss anything I choose a fixed speed and let the camera take care of the aperture, always of course compensating the exposure and filling it with my flash.
- The telephoto lens: I can’t hide my weakness for this lens. As you can see in the photos of this event, the expressions, the naturalness, that “stolen effect” that the images transmit are only possible when you photograph from a distance with a long lens.
- Radio Flash: The white umbrella has achieved a nice effect on the skin and background separation. Effect that I have enhanced with the directionality of the light separating my Speedlite from the body of the camera and playing with the distance and direction of the light to the motifs to be photographed.
RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS
Working with 3 lenses in event photography and in large spaces is a plus in commercial photography. With this technique we will obtain an almost perfect shot that will avoid a lot of time working on the computer as it happens with other techniques.
I hope you like the aesthetics and development + “feel” of the photographs obtained from Lightroom and Photoshop.
Until the next post!